Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Day 25

This weekend was my birthday. I'm now 23. And the cool thing is, I got my sparring gear! I just need a bag to put it all in. I've informed Master Miller and may begin sparring with it in class on Thursday.

Well, two weeks till testing. Yikes, only four classes. I'm not feeling terribly good about my progress. Just today Master Miller informed me that I'd been doing Dui Cha Kee (back kick) wrong for the past month. So, I'm pretty much back to square one on that one, and only four classes away from the test. Not very happy with myself! Also, my form isn't coming along well either. I really need more practice. Thankfully this week is spring break. So, I should be able to get some more practice in.

In class today, we worked alot with kicks , one steps, hand grabs, and self defense techniques. I feel pretty comfortable with those. In fact, I was doing particullarly good with them today. I sucked at everything else, but those looked good. Strange considering those are the least pratice. Maybe that's the problem though. I'm too concerned about Kee Cho Hyung Sam Bo and my back kick to relax and just do it. Ah, the wonders of the mind.

Thanks A.G. for posting your comment to my last post! So, you beleive that the reason women are better at kicking is due to their lower center of gravity due to wider hips. Hum, I agree with that, but I wonder if there's also an environmental effect to be taken into consideration. In other words, perhaps, in combinatin with the biological reason, women also use their lower body more, thus encouraging this development in the lower body. I know this may seem obvious in that we tend to use whatever is the easiest, but I write this because often the biological is taken as the sole answer, when enviromental factors play into consideration as well. For example, girls may be encouraged to use their lowerbodies more often than boys, e.g., jump rope and hop scotch, two "feminine" physcial activities, both require focus on the lower body, which may encourage growth. Boys, for example, are encouraged to utilize their upper body, with sports like baseball, football, boxing (well, it's considered a masculine sport, maybe not a boys sport), dodgeball, etc. I'm sure there are many couterexamples that could be used against this, but I'm just posing the possibility at the moment. So, I believe it's possible that this growth may be enviromental as well, which means men and women do not have to be locked in these gendered body sturctures, but can develop what is necessary through training. For men this seems obvious, but for so many women, developing upperbody strength just doesn't seem plausible. There are many examples of men with large leg muscles, but significantly less examples of women with large biceps, although there are examples. It seems to me that women are often boxed into thinking they can't change their bodies, that their bodies are utlimately weak and frail. But their bodies can change, as I am experiencing now. My upperbody and lowerbody strength has increased significantly over the past four months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Site Counters