Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Competition

Competition was saturday. As I've mentioned, I only competed in forms, as I have not had practice defending while sparing. So, for the comp. I did Kee Cho Hyung Ee Bo, which is the second form. I did well. Got two 8.5's and a 7.5. I was the only one in my division, which means I won first place, but of course that doesn't mean much. But just to point out that I didn't see anyone, not even the black belts receive a 10 or a 9. So, I think I did really well. One of the red belts told me she thought I did better than anyone at the competition, including the black belts. That was quite a complement! Didn't quite know how to take it. I did notice that my movements are sharper than most. I don't want to sound cocky, but that was something I worked on specifically and have seemed to pull through on. The floors at this dojang were wood, which made my forms feel different. When my feet got a little sweaty they would start to stick to the floor and cause my foot to drag roughly across the floor. This caused me to wabble just for one second at the end of my form. Regardless, I think I did very well.

There weren't many adults at the competition, and there were a few females. Most of them were children though. I think if I would have sparred, I would have sparred one of the yellowbelts who was a division bellow me (age wise). Apparently, when she went to spar the female redbelt in my class she just stood there and didn't really fight back. She must have been scared. Anway, I watched alot of the little girls fight too. They did really well. There were alot of little kids crying. It's kinda strange watching little kids beat each other up. I did notice that the girls tended to use their legs more, which has been a common theme I've heard from other women with martial arts experience. I didn't really see too much evidence of the frailty myth, except for the girl just standing there, but then again, she may have just learned (she was only a yellowbelt like me. She'd been practicing for a month longer than I had).

Well, that's about all I have to report. I enjoyed the competition and looked forward to another one. Can't afford the next one coming up, since I have to pay for testing for this month. Perhaps the one after!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job on your inaugural competition. Please be advised that it will become more difficult as you gain experience.
Regarding kicking.. For obvious reasons, women are generally stronger and quite flexible from the waist down. Thus their kicking technique tends to be more polished.

March 07, 2006 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters
Site Counters